How to enable Site Isolation security feature on Android

Google includes Site Isolation, or Strict Site Isolation, a security feature that’s been around since Chrome 63 but wasn’t enabled by default until Chrome 67. The company says it’s enabled it on 99% of installations. Chrome desktop version 67. The remaining 1% is used for activity monitoring and error detection.

Google plans to enable Site Isolation for Chrome on Android, but hasn’t revealed which version will enable it by default. Business users can enable Site Isolation on Chrome 68 for Android, and can also be enabled manually.

First of all, be aware that Site Isolation will take up more browser memory and Google also says that it will have some issues to fix, though it doesn’t say if there are any specific issues with Chrome on Android.

Here are the steps to enable Chrome’s Site Isolation security feature on Android.

holder How to enable Site Isolation security feature on Android
Enable security features on Chrome browser for Android

Site Isolation will be activated on Chrome after you restart. You can turn off this feature using the same steps but return to the Disabled state. If you encounter any errors, turn off this feature and use it normally.

Site Isolation increases memory usage on Chrome because it requires more processes. Google’s own benchmarks also show that using Site Isolation on the desktop increases memory usage by 10 to 13%.

If you use Firefox, don’t forget this browser also has a similar feature called First-Party Isolation.

See more:

READ:  Which is the fastest web browser on Android: Chrome, Firefox, Samsung Browser or Edge?